xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'> One Such Child: Leaving on a jet plane!

Friday, March 3, 2017

Leaving on a jet plane!

Throughout this adoption process, I have become dear friends with several other adoptive mamas. Though miles may separate us, we are connected in a way that seems more like next-door neighbors than Facebook friends. 

On Monday, we heard news from two of those mamas that they had received court dates. Because our circumstances are very similar, my mind immediately began reeling with what could possibly have caused us not to get a court date along with them. I’ve been able to keep my emotions in check for the past several months, and while we were certainly happy for these sweet families, our lack of news essentially sent me over an emotional edge I had not known I was wandering near.

Let me put it this way, when I’m so sad that I can’t eat dinner, something is seriously wrong. 

On Tuesday morning I was still deeply discouraged. I’m not sure if I walked J. Henry to school or if he walked me. As we were parting ways, my sweet boy pulled me close and with a wink and a smirk, whispered, “Mom, just stay away from the ice cream and the sharp objects while I’m gone.” 

Back at home, standing at the kitchen counter, tears still in my eyes, my phone rang. Our social worker was calling to tell us that they received confirmation of our court date early  Tuesday morning. I had to hand the phone off to Nathan because I knew she couldn't understand my hot mess of a response. 

Y’all… we leave for Ethiopia two weeks from today. I’m not even kidding.


In a redemptive manner that only God can pull off, both of those families I mentioned above and our family all share the same court date. We’ve walked through a unique kind of fire together for the last 18 months, and it's a "beauty-out-of-ashes" phenomenon that our stories have converged where it matters most.

In two weeks, Nathan, Henry and I will travel to Ethiopia to meet our daughter in person and officially adopt her in-country. Then, we will return home for 3-4 weeks while her exit paperwork is processed. Toward the end of April, I will likely return to Ethiopia by myself just long enough to get our girl and bring her home.

We are so grateful for this news. Thank you for rejoicing with us!

Leaving on a jet plane,
The Cardens 

No comments:

Post a Comment